What a few years this industry has had! By now, most are well aware of the long list of challenges, from global pandemics to major parts shortages, that have led the vehicle manufacturing industry to where we are today, so, we will save you that tale of woe for now and get straight to answering the most important question for most…
How long will I have to wait for my new car?
Well, the good news is that if you don’t have many specific requirements for your shiny new car then lots of Well, the good news is that if you don’t have many specific requirements for your shiny new car then lots of manufacturers do have stock vehicles and if you can find one that ticks all of your boxes then the wait time can be as little as a few weeks. Admittedly, this is less so for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles.
However, for most people, there are going to be specific requirements of some sort and then sadly, the answer is a lot less simple. The lead times from manufacturers vary significantly (these can be anywhere from 6 to 18 months) and even the same manufacturer can have a huge variation in lead time between one model and another. This leads us to the next burning question…
Can I do anything about it?
Well, yes and no. The industry is as it is at the moment and there are many constraints beyond anyone’s control but, there are lots of ways that just knowing about the delays can help you to prepare properly for either an extended wait or to make choices that will lead to improved wait times.
1) Continue to use your whole life cost model to decide on a vehicle choice list but, keep the actual choice open rather than having a fixed choice list.
2) Do plenty of research. Lots of manufacturers’ lead times are now widely available online so if you are torn between one or 2 vehicles the estimated lead time might just help you make that all-important decision. At JCT600 VLS we are regularly in contact with the dealerships regarding their estimated lead times so you could also check our New Vehicle Lead Times – JCT600 Vehicle Leasing Solutions page for the most recent information we have received.
3) If you know renewals are coming up in the next 12-18 months, get the ball rolling. The sooner we get started the more chance there is of getting vehicles in time for their renewal date.
4) If you are a JCT600 VLS customer who has an order placed already then you can check the My Order – JCT600 Vehicle Leasing Solutions to keep an eye on the progress of your vehicle.
5) Is your Renewal coming up sooner than you can get vehicles? Speak to a member of the team, we might not be able to get the exact vehicles you need on the drive in the blink of an eye but we will do everything we can to support you.